Monday, February 29, 2016

Flippin' rocks and finding stuff

Found a used but functional Koln column on eBay Germany.  It didn't sell at the listed price.  I contacted the seller and he sent more photos, including 2 videos that show the ignition functioning.

My plan is to take it apart, sand it, paint it and put it back together.  I will likely install it in Nigel to run it until the restoration is underway, keeping the NOS Koln column as a spare.
 Bakelite looks really good - no melted parts, no cracks/damage - let's hope it arrives in the same condition.

Only missing the clip to hold the turn signal arm to the housing.  I should have a spare in my cabinet.
True to form old school lock tumbler, only one key.

It's worn in all of the right places.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Behold the turtle...he only makes progress when he sticks his neck out

In my 2016 quest to 'clean up and clear out' excess parts, I've started digging into the bins that hold various assortments of parts - bins that were slowly taking over every horizontal surface in the garage.  I continue to remain focused on getting squirreled away parts either rebuilt/refurbished or moved on to another home.

This pile is most of the carburetor parts that I dug out of one bin and five trays in my parts cabinets.
This matched pair (VW 5-1 and VW 6-2) of carburetors will be rebuilt as a spare pair.

It's all headed out the door in 24 hours.

I've regained four trays in the parts cabinet - the bin will be used to store the spare carburetors when they return.
This is the pile of spare pieces that will be sent in as core pieces.

I don't need more than one spare pair of carbs so it's time they found a new place to live.
While going through the bin of carbs and parts, I noticed this spare top with an odd bottom piece that's not like the others.

I don't know what this is but I kept it so that I can find out if it's unique.