Tuesday, February 28, 2017
I'm intending on having these be the 'first run' hoses - replacing all of the rubber hoses with braided lines.
Monday, February 27, 2017
inching forward, one day at a time
The part labeling and organization is largely finished but I stalled a bit at the end - waiting for other 'life events' to conclude so I'd know just how far to take it.
I started looking at the components of the brake kit that I'm installing - one being the reuse of the sleeve for the parking brake. I pulled the old cables and gave them a quick 'once over' - immediately noticing that the quality control on them was abysmal (top two in the photo). The bottom one is a new purchase...I would have two of them but issues with my fancy new laptop prevented me from accomplishing that - so I ordered another one today.
I called the hose shop in town and they confirmed that they can make custom hose to replace three of the connections for the brake line. All I have to do now is remove it from the car and put together some measurements. The hoses can be made in a few hours and will also fit in the factory brackets for support. I'm hoping to get this done this week so that the car can be back on tires and I can finish this epically long brake job and get into tuning the engine.
I also bought one of Pedro's last fog light bars - it's something that I've been contemplating for a while - how I plan to mount the fog lights (another project). I've got the lighting relays and the horn relays to install yet...the projects are stacking up on this car and it's only February.
Then there's the shift coupler and bushing...
Monday, February 13, 2017
In my search for a better solution for the rear disc brake fluid lines, I found a shop that's 20 minutes from the house that makes custom brake lines and can bend tubing. If for nothing else, I'm thinking about stopping by tomorrow or Wednesday to see what it would cost to have two custom made brake lines to replace three sections of brake line. I'm not keen on that many failure points but I also don't want to spend $200 on brake lines. So, I'll just have to stop by and see what they can do and how much that will cost...
Thursday, February 9, 2017
Making use of short slow periods
The next step will be to organize them by where they go on the car (all door parts together, for example) but that'll most likely happen once everything is tagged and logged.
I made decent progress yesterday and I'm hoping to get more done this week. Once I have a larger block of time, I'll get back to the brakes. Until then, I'll stay on this - one tote at a time - until it's done.
Monday, February 6, 2017
CSP rear brakes, part 1
The rear kit is, like the front kit, very easy to install. All of the parts are labeled in a couple of exploded diagrams - showing both what is included in the kit and where it goes as you're doing the installation. Again, like the front kit, the only thing (initially) not included is the lug nuts. M14x1.5 R12 ball seat (for stock wheels) is what I used.
I'll start off by stating that, due to several factors, I have not yet finished the installation.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)