Thursday, July 30, 2020
If I have to modify this - the filter will have to go 'up' to increase the space between the pipe and the thermostat - which means a new bracket design - so I'm hoping that's not necessary!
I've had discussion of maybe tearing the car apart to get it painted but I'm still on the fence about that right now. It'd solve the problem of 'what do to with the car' while the garage expansion is going on...but it's an expensive solution. Time will tell.
In any event - it's nice to finally have a 'win' with this car - it's long overdue.
Sunday, July 5, 2020
I remembered back a few years when I was reading about how some random dude cleaned old rubber with Goop hand cleaner - the cheap stuff you find at the hardware store on the bottom shelf - it's about $3 for a tub and it cleans hands very well - no matter what's on them - they're clean when you're done.
This was the first pass - I cleaned the corner piece and then mated it up to the tear...not bad! The rubber is soft and clean. All of the dirt, adhesive and weird crap came right off with very little effort.
I may use this when I mate the body and pan with an adhesive - who knows how long it'll be there before I split them again to restore the car (maybe two years from now, maybe never).
So, yeah...I accomplished something small today - but it may have saved me a ton of time later.
Saturday, July 4, 2020
I stared at the rear seat kick panel good and hard - debating about whether I should remove the mismatched one and put the new one in...and then I got a fucking grip and realized that chasing that rabbit would inexplicably add another year to getting this car running and I let that nonsense go. It just fucking bothers me that I'm putting all of this effort into this car and it's not going to be complete or correct. My expectations are my own worst enemy.
I might get back to this tomorrow - if not, I'll carry on next weekend. I'd like to get the pan done and check it off the list.
Friday, July 3, 2020
I started the process of removing the pan but wound up stopping short of completing the task - I had a work emergency that had to be addressed and it took up a large part of my day because of a difficult customer. Each of the three times I attempted to get back into working on the car, my work phone rang and I had to stop. When the third call came at 7pm, I threw in the towel and gave up for the day. If I hadn't spent so much time on the phone and going to my office - I'd have removed the pan and probably opened up half of the pan holes.
I bought two new furniture dollies for the pan so I can slide it out without dragging it on the ground.
The revised oil thermostat bracket should be coming to a close in the next several weeks. It'll be nice to get that resolved and maybe figure out where to put that oil cooler. I've got to cross some items off of my 'to do' list on the car and get closer to a driver.