Wednesday, July 28, 2021
Tuesday, July 27, 2021
It's a minor victory but it was nice to see that I managed a win today.
Additionally, I realized where I fucked up my rear caliper installation and have made a couple of changes to prevent it from happening again.
Engine dude showed up right after I took this picture and confirmed the oil cooler was leaking - handed me another one and went on his way. I didn't do a lot with the engine today because I was focused on figuring out the suspension situation. The fan shroud is back on and the pulley is back on - I should be able to get the rest of it put back together tomorrow. I'm also going to attempt to get the fuel tank situated and the fuel pump installed and wired up to the safety relay.
The car is back on jack stands with the rear end pulled out in preparation for the drilling out of the chewed up spring plate cover mounting holes. The nuts will only go on with the subframe out (one major downside) but I've got a few other things to get done first - like have the correct spring plates zinc plated. Once they're done, I will swap them out with the set on the car (they're rusting) and put it back together one time. Brake lines are about all that's left on the list of things to do on the rear end. I've got the few front end things to do and finish up the wiring. In spite of appearances - I'm making some progress. I won't be done before the end of the week though. There are a few things I can do while I wait for the spring plates (like the entire front end and the wiring).
Monday, July 26, 2021
Today was not a great day, productivity-wise. Got a sick kid at home and 40 things to get done this week...hard to focus.I did pull the oil cooler and found oil pooled up underneath and the mount area very wet with fresh oil. I cleaned the oil cooler out and removed the black paint from the exterior.
I called several local radiator shops and none had any interest in pressure testing the oil cooler. The engine builder came by after a text conversation and picked up the oil cooler to test it and/or replace it. Hopefully, tomorrow will be more productive and the engine will go back together. I would like to get it in the car so I can finish up the wiring and get the suspension set properly.
I spent the better part of an hour trying to get NOS front indicator housing seals on the car in an attempt to get something accomplished today. In the end, I gave up because they'd shrunk so much that they would not go on the car.
Tomorrow, I will attempt to get the spring plate covers mounted on the car so I can install the other trailing arm and brake assembly on the right side. Once that's done, I can circle back and figure out brake lines.
The end goal is to get the car on 4 tires...I may need to adjust my approach to get there.
This car is far more frustrating than fun.
Saturday, July 24, 2021
Wednesday, July 21, 2021
I am now held up by a thermostat linkage arm (that's not on the engine) and a spring that may or may not be at the builder's house (more on that later). If I can fix the linkage and get the spring - I'll get the tin back on and get closer to installing it.
My final days at the job that's consumed the last year of my life are coming - two more to go - and then I've got a week to figure some shit out on this engine before I start the next job. I'll drive this car someday. Maybe.