Friday, May 23, 2014
Nigel's story, et. al.
I also received another NOS DV profile ignition switch.
A little more time was spent trying to adjust the timing to get the engine to run correctly to no avail. There's a little more 'knock' in the engine on the right side than I'd prefer and the right side carburetor isn't happy. I think it's time to bite the bullet and swap the engines. I have to swap the fan housings, chokes, coil, and heater boxes/exhaust when the engine moves over. The fan housing is the most complicated part.
I also have the axle boot seals on my list of things to do since the pair on the car leak.
Spent a little time digging through the paperwork that was left in the glove box and found registration for most of the years of the car's function up until 1978 when it was parked until extracted last year. I have the California registration from 65 until 78, skipping 1976 when the car wasn't driven.
I suspect that the fried wires in the original ignition column are the culprit, not the engine as the PPO expected.
Thursday, May 22, 2014
A day of accomplishment finds me
Note the rather large difference in width between the radials (right) and the bias plys.
I'm scratching my head at how the speedometer is working since the cable isn't secured as it should be.
Something for the next work day's list.
These are roached - dry and brittle -but I'm leaving them alone for now.
I've got a few 67 reservoirs that I need to mate up for fit. I'll get one popped in and it'll look as close to stock as possible.
I also wound up pulling the brake plunger for adjustment because the brakes were so tight that I couldn't turn the front rotors by hand.
I installed original parts and the pedal action is super smooth now.
It's nice to see NOS parts being put to use.
I also replaced the dash lights with LEDs, replaced the fuel gauge cluster bulb holder due to a broken fitting, swapped out the column and installed the NOS Koln column and fixed a few sketchy wires. I changed the timing slightly and the car starts faster now. There's still a misfire or something similar that I can hear while it idles...and that knocking sound. I adjusted the gear selector and found 2nd gear and reverse after about an hour of screwing around with it. Hopefully this means I don't need to swap the transmission as a result.
I got a lot accomplished today although it wasn't as much as I'd hoped. I was rather ambitious with my goals and most of them were realized. I think one more day and I'll be happy with driving the car.
Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
On the porch...
One way or another, I'll sell off the bias ply tires and recover most of what these cost.
There are a few other shoe boxes on their way here...then I have to make some tough decisions about what to keep and what to sell. I plan to keep everything I can for right now. I'm rather happy that I've got enough parts to build a second Koln column-I didn't think I'd find all of the pieces.
Thursday, May 15, 2014
When curiosity and opportunity meet in a dark alley
Having time to work on things and a clean space upon which to work are usually mutually exclusive...but this time everything worked out.
The only negative thing that happened is that I lost the tension spring for the turn signal arm in the trash can next to my work bench. I was cleaning the arm and heard the spring pop off and then ricochet off the side of the bag. 99% of the time, there's nothing in this trash can, but it's full of leaves, Mazda brake parts, rust and dirt. Should be fun to sift through in the next day or two.
All told, the column is in pretty good shape. I just need to dig out my bin of spare wire to replace the two fried/melted wires and send the ignition switch off for a rebuild.
Then the fun of putting it back together begins.
Everything we do is dictated by motive
The SWF arm is in great shape and the cancellation action is smooth.
After inserting the key and moving the column around a bit, it appears that the internal mechanisms of the switch have self-destructed. There's a lot of loose crap rattling around inside and it makes me wonder if there's anything to fix. I'll pull it from the column and send it off to see what the diagnosis is for the switch.
In the end, I think this column is in rather nice shape and it shouldn't take a lot or cost a lot to get it into clean, functional condition again.
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
Progress - Day 2
The speedometer situation worked itself out-literally-as the speedometer stopped functioning today.
The clutch pedal still hangs slightly somewhere. I can't quite tell if it's the pedal assembly striking something in the tunnel or if it's the rear arm on the bell housing. The transmission has a curved clutch arm and the action isn't quite as smooth so I'm going to swap it with a straight one which should solve the issue.
I took the car out for a 4 mile tour of the subdivision and, while imitating the sound of an angry typewriter, the engine is strong, transmission shifts smoothly and the feel is quite a bit better. I'm sure the front end is going to need some attention-that much crud on the beam means it's been a long time since it's seen an adjustment or grease. I won't at all be surprised to find worn out ball joints or tie rod ends...
My next steps:
- Swap fuel tank, install new tank sock and tank nipple
- Clean, lube and adjust front beam
- Install new speedometer cable (or fix existing cable if I have the clip for the end)
- Check plugs for wear
- Check valves
- Set timing
- Check body to trans ground
If the minor engine tweaks don't solve the idle hunt and ticking noises, I'll pull the engine and swap it for the 1500S in the garage after I swap the fan housings.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)