Sunday, September 29, 2019
"The best work is not what is most difficult for you; it is what you do best"
I will have to get new parking brake cables made for the IRS rear end - the Swing Axle cables are too short.
The first thing I did was break the already severely cracked finger cup in the driver's side door. It was only a matter of time - sucks to break a hard to find part though.
I bought Mario's updated outer scraper rubber but I'm going to hang on to that for a while before installing it.
Seems rather insane to 'start' something new when I've already got so much going on - I need to suss out everything that has to do with the pan so that I only have to pull it apart for modifications and repaint ONCE. That's the goal, anyway.
My theoretical steps as of now:
1. Figure out seat belt mount locations, figure out rear disc brake lines and parking brake cable (routing and cables), determine oil filter mount (make bracket and test fit), find oil cooler mount/location, have hoses made and test fit. Determine modifications necessary for trailing arms.
2. Pull engine, transmission - send transmission out for new case.
3. Install new oil filter/cooler hoses on engine side (easier to do with engine out).
4. Fix floor pan (align holes with body), weld seat belt mount locations, fix right side rear seat kick panel (early style), relocate rear brake T mount, install brake line through body (front to rear)
5. Make modifications to trailing arms. Fix paint and plating and reinstall.
6. Put it all back together.
Looks simple enough anyway.
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
"The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it."
This will get added to the list of things to fix on the pan before it gets painted again and the body is more permanently mounted to the pan.
It's not ideal but it's not really a large problem.
I'll see if I can figure out where to mount the oil cooler and get the lines figured out...that'll allow me to keep moving forward with the rear end.
The faster I get this figured out, the faster I can take it apart and fix the janky shit.
Sunday, September 15, 2019
The best road to progress is freedom's road.
The crack in the transmission housing did not affect them so I continued with the installation process.
Once I'm done with the mock up - I'll pull the transmission out and send it off for a new case.
That list includes locating and mounting the oil cooler, running the oil lines, thermostat and oil filter.
Next week will hopefully help identify where to mount the oil filter and oil cooler. Once that's done I can work on figuring out the rear axle situation.
The pace of my progress is ironic because I'm going take this all apart to fix everything that's not right.
Maybe this time next year I'll be able to drive this car.
Saturday, September 14, 2019
The actual solution is very simple.
The pan is bolted to the body at the rear 8 bolt holes and the front four. None of the side bolt holes are attached but that's of no consequence here. I'm not going to drive the car in this condition...I just need to keep the two together until I take it apart to modify the holes to get the entire floor secured properly. The mismatched rear seat kick panel situation needs to be rectified along with welding in the correct location for seat belt brackets-two things that are going to get done with the 'fix' for the floor pan holes.
I'm going to try to get the front end back on tires tomorrow to stabilize the body and get parts off of the table. Getting the rear end on and on tires is going to be a far larger challenge. But that's for later.
Monday, September 2, 2019
Fourteen months of stasis
Two days ago, I went out to the garage to see if I could get something done on the car in three hours. I set a low bar as far as expectations go - and somehow managed to trip over it on the way back into the house a few hours later. I pulled everything out - organized it by how/when it'll be installed on the car and put it all back into the cabinet.
I pulled the non - VW shit out of the inside of the car, removed the two center braces on the cart so that I could get under the car and laid on the floor to have a look. The work that is needed to get this thing to go back together crept back into my reality. I'm going to temporarily bolt the pan to the body, get the suspension back on the car - fit the engine and transmission (that I have YET to send out to be fixed) and figure out the oil cooler lines, add some brackets, sort out the parking brake lines and brake hoses. Then, take it all apart once I've figured out where it's all going to go so I can repaint the suspension bits again before putting it all back together. I'll be happy when I get this thing on tires - because I know I have a set group of tasks to execute to keep this tire fire of a project moving forward.
I am not at all looking forward to this next step because I know have to take this shit all apart again to fix something that wasn't done right the first time. I fucking hate relying on other people to even accomplish what I'd consider mediocre. I'm a magnet for mediocre.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)