Saturday, April 19, 2014
"Ambition is the last refuge of the failure."
The older accelerator cable doesn't play well with the new assembly so I'm going to replace the cable the next time I get out to work on the car. I got distracted fixing other things so this didn't get finished like I'd planned.
I suspect there's something wrong with the transmission. I tried to get it into 2nd gear and it nearly grinds...a new cable and proper adjustment did nothing to cure the problem. The shift coupler and bushing are both fairly new looking and in good condition. I have a rebuilt transmission in the garage and a rear suspension triangle ready for assembly. Might be time to get on that and just swap them out.
I think I'm going to finish off the 1500 S engine (exhaust is all that's left) and replace the 1600 with the 1500 S. I don't like the noise coming from this engine.
At least after the engine swap the car will be period correct. I didn't plan on pulling the engine given that this one is a recent rebuild. I'd rather swap engines than spend a whole day attempting to troubleshoot this one.
It'll buy me some time to figure out what's going on inside this engine.
I wound up replacing the right rear light housing - the one on the car had a broken screw in it so the lens would not fasten to the housing properly.
In addition to that, I replaced the hood trim piece with one that didn't have dents.
I removed the engine cover seal but still have some adhesive to remove and a few small dents to bang out before installing the replacement piece.
I have a feeling that I'm going to have to replace the master cylinder and some steering components soon. The brakes are decent but I suspect that the wrong MC was used during the EMPI disc brake conversion.
It's going to be about a week before I get to work on the car again. It was a good start but showed me that there's quite a bit more work to be done.
Next weekend is a visit to see how Ferris is coming along in body work and pick up the remaining pieces of Icarus...some of which may wind up on this car as they're the same color.
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Making plans for Nigel
Pedal Werks and he added a heim link clutch cable fitting from CMA during the rebuild.
That was the goal. Spend the money now to eliminate frustration later.
I really like to keep things stock to maintain the integrity of the car but this is one area where I don't mind going off the beaten path a little bit to ensure that I eliminate future issues.
I'm looking forward to pulling the Z bar system out and replacing it with this one...which will function SO MUCH better.
I didn't nickname the car Nigel...the post title just sounds 'catchy' and I can dig some old XTC.
Sunday, April 13, 2014
Sometimes the obvious thing to do is the hardest to acknowledge
Two cars, two blogs.
The idea is that I will better chart the progress of each car via their respective blog.
Let's see how that pans out...
The first 24 hours
The rubber floor mat has lots of wear marks and is tearing in a few places from age. I'm going to do my best to keep it together as long as possible.
Front clip, otherwise, is clean and accident free. Side panels are good, bumper brackets are clean. Wiring is intact and clean (not hacked).
The Z arm pedal assembly is coming out on Friday. I dug out the PedalWerks assembly that was rebuilt last year. So shiny and smooth. I also have the flat pedal/delrin ball set up from CMA. It'll be a lot smoother. Also going to check the shift rod bushings to see if I can work out the hard shift into 2nd.
I'm happy that my search for one is over.
I will eventually find one for the N model...a little easier, I hope.
Something new for the list.
The engine bay is super clean and rust free.
I've found the replacement tube for the heater pipe under the back seat (it's missing) and a replacement piece for the front tube as well as a NOS trim piece for the pushbutton assembly I tracked down the correct early elbows, straps and clamps and connection pieces for the elbows. I have also found the spring that goes on the breather hose. I'm working on finding the correct spark plug wires.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)