Saturday, March 20, 2021

"When you chase away the easy way, it will come galloping back."

Well, that was a quick three (almost four) months.  I didn't do much outside of sell off some parts I'll never use.

The engine was picked up two weeks ago to be disassembled, checked, cleaned and put back together.  I have no idea when it's coming back but I've got plenty to do so I'm not even slightly concerned about it right now.

I dug into the car today - the intent was to figure out the plumbing for the electric fuel pump - but that quickly changed to ripping out the wire harness and replacing it.  So many cracked wires from the original harness that I just couldn't fix anymore.

As I was moving wires around in the engine bay and fishing wires around under the dash, a couple of them suffered cracked insulation.  I was acutely aware of the crispy nature of the wiring in the car but today's multiple failures changed the direction of the activities.

I pulled both the front harness and the rear harness - the front one is installed and I ran out of time to finish the rear harness.  I also cannot find the giant stash of grommets that I have around I'm a couple short for the installation.

The area underneath the rear fenders is in pretty good shape overall.  I did some clean up and I'll treat the bare metal where the old seam sealer cracked off.  If you look closely, you can see the OG Ruby Red underneath and the respray up near the bottom of the windows.

The goal here is to clean it up, replace the wiring and grommets and put it back together.

Perhaps in a few days, I'll 'grow a pair' and drill the holes for the seat belt anchor points.  It's high time I dust off that welder I bought and put it to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment