Monday, June 22, 2015

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

 After the last post, I emailed Airkewld for an explanation about their instructions and the issues I encountered.  Unexpectedly, they replied fairly quick but the answers were geared toward an idiot and that just pissed me off a little more.  It was very clear that they're either employing a moron to reply or they're used to dealing with morons and have to "Barney it down" for their customers.  This is the only thing I've purchased from them and based on my perception of quality of their product and the design details, I don't think I'll be going back for anything else.  The next brake kit will be from someone else that knows how to make a proper bracket.  It's so easy to get it right that it just irritates the shit out of me that this is where they decided "Aw, fuck it, good enough!  Stick it in the box."

I asked some local contacts about 'next steps' but no one had an answer that was any different than what I suspected:  Short of either buying a different kit or redesigning the bracket that Airkewld created, I had to use the original brackets and washers.  I went to the local Home Depot and found extra bolts and 20 washers.  I used the extra bolts to 'thread' the aluminum holes in the Wilwood calipers and then strip that thread away by intentionally over-tightening them.  I used that technique on both sides of the mounting hole and stripped away 80% of the thread I'd created to open up the holes.  Took about 20 minutes to do all four holes and another 10 minutes to mount the caliper and top ball joint.

I wound up using a total of ten washers per caliper.  I'm not at all happy about using 20 f'ing washers on a brake kit that should be designed to eliminate half-assed inventions.  There is roughly 1 - 2 mm of space between the caliper and the rotor now that it's mounted/centered.  I'm hoping that it won't rub but I won't be the least bit surprised if it does wind up rubbing.

No pictures were taken of the final install on the passenger's side - phone died and the camera decided it doesn't like the humidity in the garage.  I'll see about photos once I get the driver's side installed...or I have time to go back out and take them.

After this bit of fun, I get to figure out the reservoir mounting situation and then bleed the brakes (my favorite thing to do) before I can drive the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment