Sunday, May 1, 2016
Everything's fine today, that is our illusion
I tried to use a degreaser on the strainer before I do it on the engine and it didn't work. The photo here shows the strainer (a good thick one) after soaking and a first round with a paint scraper - doesn't look like I accomplished much because I didn't. I may experiment with a few other methods so I know what to use on the engine case later.
The cover plate required cleaning with a wire wheel on my bench grinder - it's clean but I discovered that it's also warped and the drain plug is damaged...so all of these parts are due for replacement.
Of course, I don't have any spares of these parts so I had to order the parts. I have placed more orders in the last two weeks than in the last six months. I'm hoping that this rash of ordering will come to an end soon.
The 'up' side to all of this is that I can pop the valve covers off and check the valves - one less thing to check in the near future.
at May 01, 2016