Sunday, October 28, 2018
It'll never be enough
The emery cloth was very slow going and didn't seem to be removing the material that is required to get the retainer on the snout. So I switched over to the grinding wheel - which did a really good job of removing material but it was hard to control the level of removal due to the aggressive nature of the tool. I swapped over to the flap wheel - slightly easier to control but I still managed to hit the snout a couple of times in places I didn't want to (one of which is shown in the pic). This is a practice piece so I'm not super worried about it - live, learn and move forward.
I'm considering not using the Jaycee retainers and just using stock parts - the variation in quality on the Sway Away spring plates won't be as big of an issue and installation should be easier to deal with. The rear end won't be quite as stiff as I'd hoped but I don't really plan to launch this car during drag races anyway. Perhaps I've simply made this too hard on myself and it's time to just dial it back a bit and focus on getting the car back together. It's clear that I'll never be satisfied with the parts I buy...
Tomorrow will be a dry fit of the parts for the subframe - to see if there are any other issues to figure out. I won't be surprised if there's at least a handful of problems to resolve before this can be put together completely.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment