There's been a little bit of progress and a lot of setbacks.
The left front brake line - bent from a pre-made line to work with the space. Not ideal but it'll work.
The right front brake line - bent from a pre-made line to work with the space. Again, not perfect but it'll work.
Left rear line that I made from a longer piece - decent result given the shit design of the mount for the T by Volkswagen.
Right rear line that I made from a longer piece - another decent result that I can live with.
A few days ago - I bought some NiCopp brake line with the goal of making my own lines and having the corrosion resistance of copper lines with stainless nuts. I'd run into the issue of not being able to get a decent flare out of the copper line. I tried two pieces ($30 spent to experiment) and, after about 30 attempts of various form, preparation, etc. - I yielded exactly ZERO usable flares - in spite of the fact that this tool cost over $200 and I religiously followed the instructions.
Then, today, while working on another practice run - the tool simply broke. The up side is that I get to return it for a full refund and I'll be returning the spool of copper line that I bought but didn't open/use. That'll put $300 back into my pocket.
I packed up the tools tonight and collected the parts and put them in boxes. I'll finish getting the garage ready for Winter and leave the car idle for the next several months. I need to 'have a think' about what I have put into this project, what I hope to get out of it and whether I want to continue. It'd be a shit time to decide to get out but I passed the 'good point' a long time ago.
I've, again, had quite a disappointing level of work done for the money I've spent. Parts don't fit where they should, people don't do work they say that they will. It's getting really fucking old. It's a waste of time, effort and money. I wonder if I'm masochist enough to continue.
Post a Comment