Saturday, October 15, 2016

What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly

I got a lot done today...but I didn't take a lot of pictures.  Actually, this is the only picture I took.

Old tie rod ends on the left, new tie rod ends on the right...exciting stuff.  The new tie rod ends are OCAP and made in Italy.  They're much more firm/smooth than the ends I removed from the car.

I replaced the steering box, all four tie rods and fixed a couple of other minor issues along the way.  Steering damper was checked again and seems to be fine.  I may, however, replace the front shocks because they appear to be pretty old.  That'll be something for tomorrow after I take it for a short drive to check the steering.

Once all was finished, I put the gas back in the tank and started the car.  It idles a bit high but seems to be running quite well.  The engine fired right up - a little bit of a whine from the alternator - but it otherwise sounds great.  I would like to get the idle to settle down a slight bit more once I've had a chance to drive the car a bit.  The steering situation needs to be checked and, if necessary, corrected again.  All of the parts up front are new so there should be no wandering in the front end now.

No new gear oil on the rear left wheel - so I'm left to believe that the previous issue was due to being jacked up for too long, left to sit for too long...guess I'll find out when I drive it!

I'm not 100% happy with the heim link clutch cable/arm - it's still rubbing somewhere inside the pan despite my best effort to correct it...and when adjusted for the right pedal, there's not much left in adjustment on the cable.  If it stretches I probably won't be able to adjust it.  But I'd really hate to have to pull the pedal assembly out of the car again.  I'll leave it alone until I need to change it and then swap it over to the version that uses the stock clutch cable and brass bushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment