First thing: The Type 1 torsion cover plates don't actually fit like I thought they would. They're too shallow - which I figured out while attempting to tighten them to the subframe. Yeah, so. good thing I just bought a new set AND a replacement original set in case the repops were garbage (they're not). I wound up using the Type 3 Swing Axle torsion covers that I kept in case I needed them. Parts hoarding pays off for once. The lack of a cover on the end is a long term issue I need to resolve. I have a rusty set that I can use for welding practice to add a cover. The set that's on the car, for now, I'm going to leave alone because...
I'm pretty sure the rear end of the car is too stiff but I'll wait until it's back together and taken out for a test drive before I decide that I don't like it enough to tear it all apart and re-index.
Second thing: I get a hell of a lot more done when I force myself to find a solution vs. buying one. When I was young and broke all the time - I didn't have the money to keep buying parts - I just figured out a way to fix the problem. Sure, I was living in Southern California and VW shops were everywhere but I still didn't buy a lot of parts to solve a problem. I've been working toward doing that now WITH a parts hoard and it seems to be paying off. The last few times I've bought a part to solve a problem, it didn't...and a part I already had on hand wound up being the solution.
I have the target of getting a lot done over the long weekend since I'm not going anywhere. Time will tell how well my mental motivation works with my physical time management.