Thursday, August 21, 2014

Why should things be easy to understand?

Today was to have been the day that the car went back on the ground after a successful master cylinder transplant...but that didn't happen.

The master cylinder has been replaced, the dual reservoir was installed and new lines were run.  I'm not 100% happy with the new lines but they'll do for now.  I've had some time to contemplate the routing and I know which way I want to go-I just have to get the line and lay it out.  I can get better coverage with steel line and improve the bend radius once I get a couple of tools.  I'll likely save this for the restoration process unless I wind up having to take the brakes apart again.

The issue keeping this car on jack stands is that I cannot get the brakes to bleed.  Pedal goes right to the floor.  I checked the pedal distance to the plunger and it could use some adjustment but that's not going to solve the problem.  There's a lot of air in the system and I'm having a hell of a time getting it out.

To make things a bit more challenging the very expensive power bleeder sprung a leak on me right as I started the process.  There's now more brake fluid on the garage floor than in the car.  I'm thinking a vacuum bleeder is the way to go since the pressure bleeder isn't doing the trick...but that means buying something else and waiting.

I attempted the 'gravity bleed' method but that was pretty much pointless.  Being solo, I can't do the 'two man bleed'.  I'm going to try replacing the seal on the power bleeder before I give up completely.  Fingers crossed, it'll work.  If not, so be it.  I'll put the tires back on and drop it on the ground-move it to its side of the garage and call it.  I've got a family to spend time with and a business trip early next week so the car can doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry to get back on the road anyway.

Some days I'm pretty happy that I bought this isn't one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment