Thursday, February 22, 2018

Paint, round 1

The weather cooperated - to an extent - so I got on the painting process.  It was a bit windy but I made do with the circumstances.

I couldn't get the parts clean enough by using acetone and a rag - the Ospho was crusty in some spots - probably some error on my part in application (too much) so I broke out the grinder and cleaned all of the parts again.

The beam proved to be far harder to clean and paint than I expected - so I cleaned the middle part real well and focused the paint on that area.  I ran out of wire wheels to clean the small spaces on the ends so I'll have to pick some up and then focus on those areas tomorrow and finish the primer process.  The torsion arms and drop arm will be painted with the top coat tomorrow.  I'm hoping that I can also get to the beam but there's a decent amount of cleaning on those small areas before I can primer - which has to be dry before I can paint.  I might duplicate what I've done today and do it in two phases.  I'll let this dry for a few days before I start putting it all back together.  I'm hoping that I can get it back on the car without doing too much damage to the new paint. 

After having done this - I am going to try to figure out a way to get the bearings and bakelite bits out of the NOS beam so it can be powdercoated and then simply rebuild it when it's done.  I'm not much for painting and I think it's going to be a good thing that this is under the car where no one can see it!

I got through four more drawers of parts and updated the inventory spreadsheet and put together a new set of labels and tags to print up.  I should be done with the inventory by the end of the week - and all parts should be labeled.  All of the sale stuff will be in one box and the random parts should be no more. 

Not bad for a day's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment