Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Tiny steps in the right direction

Today was a small progress kind of day.  I got the exhaust installed (still not happy with the way it fits), finished up some wiring, cleaned up the fuel pump mount and got it painted.  I started to dig into the wiring for the safety relay and the fuel pump and it seems to be pretty straightforward and simple so I'm not sweating it.

I installed the NOS EMPI camber compensator but I'm not sure I like the way it sits - I'll reserve judgment for the final review when the car is on the ground.  Something about the way the two pieces interact that just seems weird because they're not connected at all - just bump into one another once in a while...what keeps the bar from moving out of place?  Yeah, nothing...seems strange.

I've had these instructions for years - I've had the part for years as well...all this time I've been too dense to realize that the two pieces are not connected - maybe I'm just too accustomed to the later style that mounts to the transmission housing.

I'm hoping to get the brakes bled tomorrow, along with shifter/clutch adjustment, get the fuel pump installed and potentially get the wiring sorted out.  Once that's done, I'll only have a handful of things left before I can start/drive the car. 

I ordered new plug wires with 90ยบ boots, more electrical connections for all of my wiring and a few spare parts that have been consumed over the past week.  And in a moment of OCD, I organized my electrical connections into a new box - only to discover that I actually need two of these.  Far easier than individual plastic bags.

I tried, again, to mock up the '71 only fuse box only to discover that it isn't going to work - by a long shot.  The location of the relays on the fuse box and the back of the push button assembly prevent the two from working I'll have to come up with a new plan for the relays.  I may just cut the fuse box part off and use the relay mount part - or maybe I should try to find a broken one before I do that since I spent hard earned money on this one.  Kind of a bummer but not all that unexpected.  On the other hand, I didn't have to tear my existing fuse box apart to figure this out so it's a 'win' in spite of being a 'loss', I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment