Friday, November 17, 2017
Release and rebuild
Early in the afternoon, the window trims arrived, along with the felt strip clips. They're three days early (due on Monday) so I figured I'd get started on the driver's side door. The window trims are not great but they're far better than what I removed in terms of rubber and dents. The construction is mediocre but it'll work for now.
The plan is to completely build up the driver's side door before starting on the passenger's side door (which I promptly ignored by installing the door lock mechanism). The passenger's side door is going to take more work to get it right due to the rust so I figured I'd toss myself a bone by doing the easy door first.
I test fit the felt strip in the wind wing channel - that's going to suck a little bit because the felt strip is wider than the channel and it compresses down to a slot that's too thin for the glass.
These two are soaking in Fluid Film - I'll clean them out one more time before putting them away. The benefit of storing them with Fluid Film is that it doesn't turn into crusty wax...so using them later won't be a chore.
I'm also going to test the little film that's supposed to reduce the 'blue' effect of the LED bulb to a more 'natural' color suitable to a classic car while providing brighter light.
I've had about all of the scanning and printing I can handle. The reason I put this off for three years became abundantly clear about half way into the process. I'm looking forward to the end of this project.
The glass tubes for the LED bulbs arrived today as well (it was a good day for packages!) so that chapter is closed as well.
Speaking of 'new homes', I sold the roof rack today...so I'll be building another crate to ship it to California next week.
The replacement carburetors arrive tomorrow afternoon - I have a lot of work on the board now and I'm hoping to be able to drive the car again in a few days.