Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Thought without learning is perilous

Today was semi-eventful.  I was able to tie up a few loose ends that have been bothering me.

Starting with the air cleaners...
Finished result.  I need to get button head hardware but that's for later.

The car still doesn't start on the first key turn but it seems to run fine.  I may take it to the local shop and have them look it over to make sure everything is in order.

There is an odd 'rubbing' sound coming from the rear of the car.  I think it's a stuck caliper on the rear brakes - if I had to guess.
Changed the oil and filter (somehow found a red filter so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb).

Bought a filter wrench as well because I didn't have one - I used Channel Locks to remove the original filter.

I also started looking at the CSP Python exhaust...too expensive though.  I have to figure out how to get this Vintage Speed exhaust to work the way it should.  There is some welding work in the future of this exhaust.
Cleaned the bottom of the passenger's side door out and applied Ospho.  While I was out getting the oil filter - I also picked up some rattle can paint that's an 'okay' match.  It'll be a good temporary fix.
Got some felt weatherstripping from Home Depot to silence the door lever rod.  The original application is only at the end that goes through the hole in the door to the lock.  I added the rest of it to guarantee that it won't rattle.
I have the 'green stripe' felt trim - I'm going to use these for now.  I'll have to find a solution for the snug fit on the glass but it's time to get these fucking doors back together.
For the record - this is not the correct part to order if you're using Beetle felt...I spent the better part of 20 minutes trying to beat the shit into the channel.  Turns out, these are wider and don't fucking fit.

This was the lesson for today...keep an eye on part numbers!

The one other thing I accomplished today was to remove the camber compensator.  And the rear wheels have settled a little bit.  I may try to install the longer bar in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment